Thursday, August 23, 2012

Computer Names

My test environment is running on a Hyper-V virtual server system. I’ve created an Active Directory Directory Services (AD DS) server running as a guest OS to provide a domain to my other virtual machines.

I do not want my Hyper-V system to join this test domain. It is supposed to host the test environment, not take part in it. So I have left it in the default workgroup.

This leaves me with a minor annoyance, which is that I need a local user account and password when administrating that server. Perhaps it would be better to have the AD domain hosted on separate tin, but it’s not a big enough problem to warrant me finding some at this point.

I also have a couple of guest VMs that are also outside of the test domain. One of these is a Windows 8 preview box, for example. There are likely to be a handful of oddball VMs like this that will need to stand alone.

Connecting to them via Remote Desktop is then a pain because they won’t respond to their machine names so I have to go and hunt around to find their IP v4 addresses and connect with those.

However, this turned out to be because the master browser service is disabled by default in Windows 2008 Server. I have enabled this on the Hyper-V server and started it. I had to wait a few minutes, but after a while I started to see machine names appearing in the results of “net view” (run from the command prompt).

So now I can remote onto the client VMs without having to find their IP addresses.

No comments: